Beverly Hills is home to some of the grandest estates in all of California, let alone Los Angeles. The 90210-zip code has long been coveted by celebrities and millionaires for its luxe lifestyle, affordability relative to other parts of Los Angeles, safety, and desirability. But while some still prefer the high-rise life of the city center, more and more of those with the means to do so are opting for a Beverly Hills home.
If you’re considering making this wealthy enclave your new home—or if you want to be one of that growing number who can say they reside in 90210—here’s what you have to decide, is it in the flats or in the hills?
The flats, with their signature horizontal line of palm trees, offer an eye-pleasing contrast with the Beverly Hills Hotel and its neighbor, the iconic Beverly Hills sign. It’s not uncommon to see celebrities strolling along Rodeo Drive in this area with bodyguards in tow.
Of course, there are costs associated with living in the flats. Not only do you have to deal with traffic—even with a resident pass it can take hours to get into your own garage—but you will be among some of the wealthiest people on earth who come from all over for their high-end shopping fix. While your home may look enticing when viewed against this backdrop, keep in mind that every day is valet day at these exclusive boutiques.
But if you are willing to make the trade-off, this is one of the best areas in Los Angeles to live. The Beverly Hills flats are filled with Spanish architecture and expansive views, making them highly sought after by the rich and famous.
Advantages of Living in Flat Grounds in Beverly Hills
If you live in a flat area of Beverly Hills, such as the prestigious section of L’Ermitage, there are many advantages to raising your children.
1. One major advantage is that you can give them all sorts of toys and playthings without having to worry about the expense. A child’s playground consists of more than swings and slides. Many rich families have a personal bowling alley installed in their homes for their children to enjoy whenever they wish.
2. You will also have far less expensive bills. Many houses on sloped hills require one or more gallons of water for outside cleaning purposes per day whereas those who live on flatter grounds only need one gallon every few days! This means lower water bills since more people are surveyed to live on the flat ground compared to surveyed hillside houses. The same goes for electricity bills since the use of appliances will be significantly less in flatter land areas.
3. You will have far fewer neighbor disputes when living on flat ground. Though this may seem like an insignificant benefit, it’s actually quite helpful if you enjoy peace and quiet. There are no gifts that need to be given nor door-to-door salesmen that are constantly at your doorstep when you have neighbors who are further apart from each other than they are within hillside communities. This is because people tend to build their homes several feet away from one another when living on slanted grounds so there is usually little room between two neighbors. However, when living on flat grounds, there is much more space in between your home and your neighbors’.
4. If you’re an environmentalist, which is something that we should all strive to be, then living on flat grounds will definitely suit your passion for caring about Mother Earth and the impact that we as humans have on her. This is because there are no trees needed to be cut down in order to make room for a hillside home. Not only would this kill off potential oxygen producers (trees) but also contribute to soil erosion and deforestation if not taken care of properly (which most hillside homes do). However, when living on flatlands, it’s just dirt and there is rarely any need for grass mowing or other lawn work so it helps save money and time while saving trees, too.
5. There are plenty of other reasons to live in flatlands than just saving the environment! For example, it’s much easier to navigate your way around when driving and there’s little risk for people or wildlife getting injured if something is to happen (earthquakes, landslides, mudslides).
6. If you’re a family who wants to grow together outdoors and find activities your whole family can enjoy doing together like playing sports outside, horsing around in the backyard, and creating memories like nature walks or picnics then living on flats is perfect for you.
7. Having a home located on flat ground will give children more space to play without worrying about them tripping over uneven ground covered with rocks and such. This will also reduce the risk of children getting injured since they won’t have to worry about tripping over things. They can even build a fort while playing outside!
8. When you live on flat ground, outdoor functions like weddings and birthdays are a lot more fun because there’s a lot more space to accommodate people and it will allow your guests to enjoy being outdoors without having an impaired view from hills or mountains blocking their vision. In fact, some places have this cool function where they bring in glass walls surrounding the party so it doesn’t get too cold or windy for the event.
9. If you’re into sports that involve going out and being active such as running, biking, fishing, hunting, etc., then you would have a good time living on flat land. You’ll be able to get more done on your outdoor activities without having to worry about navigating through uneven ground or hills.
10. If you are one who likes looking at landscapes, oceans, forests, fields, rivers, etc., then it would certainly be more enjoyable being on the same level as these things rather than looking up at them from below because that’s not very fair is it?
11. If you like living in a state of minimalism, then flat land is where you would want to be because it allows for your life to be clearer and more defined by the way things are positioned in front of each other (such as buildings). If everything is on the same level then there’s no confusion about what is what.
12. One big advantage that comes with living on flat ground is that you don’t have to worry about how your clothes or hair look when you go outside because they won’t get messed up by climbing hills so easily.
13. Because you need less work to maintain even levels, moving homes becomes much easier than having to deal with ladders and mountains every time you wanted something done.
14. On flat ground, it’s easier to assess the speed of water that is flowing around you because everything is on the same level. This means there are no surprises of fast-moving currents being followed by a sudden drop-off from a waterfall or bridge-type arrangement.
15. Living in a place where all the roads and sidewalks are even will do wonders for your sense of security after dark as you won’t have to worry about tripping over something whilst walking home at night – unless of course you’re going out clubbing and insist on wearing stilettos!
16. You can never be woken up by late-night drunks throwing up outside your house because they’ll be thrown clear over your fence if they try that. This is good news because you’re probably not the only person who lives in your house and they don’t want their night spoiled any more than you do.
Disadvantages of Living on Flat Grounds in Beverly Hills
1. Water Damage. Water damage is probably the biggest disadvantage of living on flat grounds in Beverly Hills. The flat ground tends to flood more easily than hilly terrain, especially if there are storms or heavy rainfall. It may also be harder to find the exact source of leakage, making it take longer for your home’s interior to dry out once the water has soaked into your floors and walls.
2. Slipping Hazards. Especially during winter months, being on flat ground can create additional hazards for older individuals or those with mobility issues, who seem to have a higher risk of slipping on icy patches around their homes compared to those living on hilly terrain where ice doesn’t tend to gather as much moisture from rain or melting snow. The damage caused can be costly, and worst of all, fatal.
3. Leaks. As mentioned in the first disadvantage listed, the flat ground can create more problematic leaks than hilly terrain does due to drains or sewer systems being less effective at removing water off their grounds quickly–and during rainy months this could come back to haunt you at your home. While some may not think it’s that big of a deal if their living room is slightly damper than usual for a day or two, flooding can cause mildew and mold growth which will eventually compromise the structural integrity of your floors and walls as well as possibly contaminate foodstuffs nearby–which wouldn’t be very nice when you’re to enjoy a romantic meal with your significant other.
4. Also, if you live on flat ground, it’s more probable that you might have to deal with persistent puddles of water which would be harder to remove than ones caused by hilly areas due to their downward flow towards the drains or sewers (which leaves them trapped as they evaporate). These unwanted accumulations of water can also facilitate mosquito breeding and make your backyard or front yard an attractive place for those pesky insects–and nobody wants blood-sucking bugs flying around the neighborhood to bite everyone else without wanting some themselves. Not only will those mosquitos annoy the pants off people trying to do things like enjoy a good book outside during summer but they could also be dangerous vectors of disease which is why we even have chemical pesticides to use against them.
5. All of this is evident enough without even mentioning the challenges people have trying to build houses on the hilly ground which are affected by subsidence problems involving earth slippage, differential settlement–which refers to when portions of strata of the land settle unevenly or at different rates due to dissimilar foundation material–and landslips which occur when the ground gives way under the weight of buildings and other manmade structures causing them to slide down hillsides. We should also consider that homes situated on sloping ground could present difficulties for residents with mobility issues (elderly).
Living in the hills in Beverly Hills is a sure sign that you have come up in the world. The average home price for a house on a hill is $ 1,628,000 or 7% higher than average homes elsewhere in Beverly Hills. In addition to the view from the top of the hill, there are other amenities available such as deep soaking tubs and bay windows which bring even more benefits to homeowners. Many people say they would not live anywhere else but being at the top of a hill has its disadvantages too–maintenance fees can be expensive!
Disadvantages of living in hills in Beverly hills
1. Traffic can be a nightmare and trying to avoid it while driving in these areas is nearly impossible unless you’re willing to wake up at 4:00 AM. And nobody wants to do that.
2. You may also run into problems with your bank. If you don’t have an automated payment deducted from your checking account and/or a credit card, you might find yourself hitting the bank every other week to clean out your account; it hurts even more if you spend money frivolously on anything superfluous like designer clothes or shoes that could’ve gone towards paying down your mortgage.
3. There’s also the fact that living in such high altitudes has been known to cause serious health problems for Californians; everything from asthma and allergies to dizziness and depression can plague those who live in these areas–especially during seasons where rain is scarce and heat waves are plenty. But hey… at least these homeowners get to look down at all of those poor souls living below sea level, right?
4. Living in the hills is basically like having all of your problems compounded on top of each other, which is why some actually find it preferable to live on the beach.
5. While living in the hills may seem beautiful and luxurious, there are many hidden downsides that outweigh the pros. From pesky bushfires to earthquakes and mudslides, living in the hills (even in Beverly Hills) is no easy task.
6. While some might consider an outdoor shower a luxury, they often come with many hidden risks such as poisonous spiders, icky bugs, and even snakes. Living in the hills can be quite dangerous for this reason; however, most homeowners would probably rather deal with that than brush their teeth inside of an ant-infested bathroom any day of the week.
7. Most people who live on or near hills report having higher rates of asthma and allergies than those who live inland. The same oxygen-rich air that we breathe while we’re enjoying our morning hikes can actually cause havoc on our lungs–particularly for those who suffer from asthma or allergies.
8. Traffic on some city streets can move at speeds up to 100 miles per hour–not something you’ll want to live near if you’re only driving 5 miles to work each morning. Many hillside areas are just too steep and narrow for cars to safely get around quickly without violating common rules of the road such as speeding and passing on double yellow lines. If your daily commute requires these maneuvers in order to get you safely to work on time, then living in the hills may not be the best option for you.
Advantages of Living in Hills in Beverly Hills
If you’re a Beverly Hills resident and looking for a place to continue living, here are some of the benefits the Beverly Hills hills offer.
1. You can see your neighbors from miles away if they have built their houses on top of the hill because the Beverly Hills hills tend to be higher than the other places in Beverly Hills. That means no one to disturb you.
2. the Beverly Hills hills are near celebrities’ houses, so the Beverly Hills hills have a high possibility of being Hollywood stars’ hiding places when someone wants to take a picture with them. Hollywood stars are very important customers in Beverly Hills, so Beverly Hills won’t make a big deal when you move to the Beverly Hills hills because Beverly Hills wants the Beverly Hills hills to be safe from paparazzi or from any other disturbance.
3. If you live in the Beverly Hills hills, it is far less likely that someone will annoy you with noise or smoke, especially after the Beverly Hills hills have made Beverly Hills very environmentally friendly.
4. One of the main reasons why people move to the Beverly Hills hills or even other places is that they want a peaceful place where their kids can play. If you live in the Beverly Hills hills, it is also very convenient for going hiking because you won’t have to worry about getting lost.
5. There won’t be many tourists who just walk around your property without permission, especially if you’re living on top of the mountain.
6. Around 15% of all of the properties in the Beverly Hills hills are mansions, so there’s no doubt that living in Hollywood hills has its charm!
7. You can save money on heating because it is much colder in the Beverly Hills hills than in the city, although you’ll probably need an energy-efficient heater.
8. Did you know that many Hollywood stars live in the Beverly Hills hills? If you’re lucky, maybe one of the actors will walk past your house while you’re sunbathing.
9. With sky-high electricity bills, there’s no doubt about it: living in the Beverly Hills hills saves a lot of money!
10. Houses are often bought as investments here, which means that if you don’t own property yet but have enough money to pay rent for two years straight, then this might be just what you’ve been looking for.
11. Most of all, the views are amazing and stunning from your home, be it daytime or nighttime.
12. The green, beautiful environment is another reason why many people live in the hills of Beverly Hills.
13. If you like your privacy, this is the place for you! Most houses are either surrounded by high walls or located out of the way, so no one will bother you.
You may also like
- How to pick a Beverly Hills realtor
- Improve Your Beverly Hills Home’s Curb Appeal
- Mortgages You Need to Know About in Beverly Hills
- Mortgage in Beverly Hills Preserving Your Wealth
- Should You Really Belong to A Beverly Hills Homeowner Association?
- 6 Best Tips When Buying Or Selling a Beverly Hills Home
To sum up, Beverly Hills is a good place to live if you have the financial capability of buying an expensive house on steep hills. Also, it will be better for you to choose to buy one here since the prices are still low compared with other luxurious areas worldwide. You can also enjoy high privacy levels because most properties are surrounded by high walls or are located away from traffic routes. If you are just looking for nice weather and beautiful views as your main criteria when deciding where you want to live in this world, then come to Beverly Hills as soon as possible!
So, if you need help, feel free to connect with me and I’ll be more than happy to help you find the perfect Beverly Hills, CA home! If Beverly Hills sounds like a place that would make your heart soar, please feel free to contact me at any time. With my help, you can get Beverly Hills homes for sale and make this dream of yours a reality.